Monday, January 09, 2012

Welcome back to woooooork!!!!!

Well, starting tomorrow, my Christmas vacation is officially over.  Boooooo.  It was so relaxing to sit around and do nothing and watch marathons on TV.  Seriously, the holidays are the best time for TV marathons because the programmers must get lazy and just think, "Whatever, let's just play 36 hours straight of Law and Order: SVU.  No one's watching anyway..."  Except for me--I'm watching!  And I love it. 


Anywho (how's that for some Minnesota-speak?...you're welcome), I go back to work and back into court tomorrow.  However, tomorrow it's probably more appropriate to refer to it as The Gauntlet or The Seventh Circle of Hell.  Either of those would be accurate, I think. 

Here's tomorrow's schedule--keep in mind, I've been away from work for two-and-a-half-weeks, so I have basically zero idea what has been happening since Dec. 21: 


Morning
9:00 a.m.--2 sentencings for the same client
9:30 a.m.--sentencing #3
9:45 a.m.--settlement conference #1
10:00 a.m.--settlement conference #2
10:15 a.m.--settlement conference #3


Afternoon
1:30 p.m.--2 hearings with the same client
1:30 p.m.--hearing #3
1:30 p.m.--hearing #4
1:30 p.m.--hearing #5
1:30 p.m.--hearing #6
1:30 p.m.--hearing #7
1:30 p.m.--hearing #8
2:15 p.m.--hearing #9
3:00 p.m.-hearing #10


In case you're keeping track, that's 16 hearings in one day...which is a redonkulous number of hearings in one day.  Especially when I haven't been at work for 2 1/2 weeks, so really, I'm not at all up to date on those files and if anything has come into my inbox on them in the time I was out on vacation, I haven't looked at it and probably won't get a chance to before the hearing.  Woohoo!!!!  I'm so glad to be back.  And I don't want to poke my own eyes out at all...just kidding, I really do!! 


A few of the clients scheduled for tomorrow are brand new ones, so I have never met them and have no clue what they are even there for (because, hey, hey, I haven't had a chance to read the file!) so it's going to be a fun adventure tomorrow! YAY YAY YAY!!


Bleh...I suppose it wouldn't feel like my job if I didn't want to cry the minute I got back from vacation and didn't feel like my soul was being crushed under the grinding, relentless, underfunded court and public defense system.  ...I promise I'm not bitter...it's just the contrast between sleeping till 11:00 am. for 2 1/2 weeks to suddenly getting dumped into a 16 hearing court day.  Yuck.  Well, it's only one day, right??  ...well, except for Wednesday, which is pretty packed, too...but okay, just 2 days...


In other news, my first stab at Weight Watchers (which I'll just call WW from now on) lasted about a day and a half and then I was like, "Psshhht, screw this, I'm on vacation.  If I'm on vacation, it totally doesn't even count.  I'll start next week."  Which is this week.  Which means I started today.  And balls, am I hungry!  I keep looking at my sad and small portions of food and being like, "Really?? That's all?? But...but...but...(insert sad, teary-eyed face here)...I'm hungry..."  Thank goodness I can eat all the fruit I want--otherwise I'd be a raging bitch because I'd be so hungry.  I find fruit to be completely lacking in the "make me feel full" department, but it at least takes the edge of the hunger so I don't have that growly, stomach-is-starting-to-digest-itself feeling.  I had a giant salad for lunch today, with like 4 cups of lettuce and 2 cups of veggies and chicken breast and I was like, "Mmm, this would be soooo much more filling if it had potatoes and gravy and instead of being a salad, it was a delicious open faced turkey sandwich."  I guess I'll always be fantasizing about my salad magically becoming something more delicious like gravy and crying because I don't get to eat more than a regular portion size.  REGULAR?!  That blows...



Meanwhile, as I'm sadly looking at my measly, regular-sized portions, my cat Oscar is sitting  at the counter, judging me and my food choices.  Bastard.


So, despite the incredibly judgmental housemate I currently have, I'm back on the WW band wagon and starving to death and turning into a crabby bitch because I'm so hungry.  But, I'll be skinny and if TV and movies have taught me anything, it's that you can be as big of a bitch as you want as long as you're skinny.  They even have a name--Skinny Bitches.  So, I should good.  

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:08 AM

    All I have to say to sixteen hearings in one day is...holy crap. WOW.

    ReplyDelete